As you’re getting ready to roll out next year’s sales compensation plans, here’s a quick “Top 10” list of things to focus on. Remember, plan communication can make or break your new sales incentive plan!
- Think like your salespeople and focus on what matters to them.
- Be clear and show examples.
- Don’t forget about the “why” – explain the rationale for changes.
- Describe the “how” – describe your design process to build confidence in the new plans.
- Repeat the message; use a cascading approach.
- Don’t reveal the new plan to reps until the start of the fiscal year.
- Provide an escalation path for understanding.
- Hold sales managers accountable for a successful rollout.
- Leave enough time between final design and the rollout phase.
- Study your performance and seek improvement.
This top 10 list is just a start! Please reach out to a BSC team member for a more in depth white paper on sales compensation plan communication best practices. It’s the final critical piece to a successful plan design effort.